Party Grant (2022)
Michigan City Mainstreet Association
Purpose & Description
The Michigan City Mainstreet Association has become well known and respected for its role in creating and hosting within the District numerous high quality, unique events that draw MC residents and visitors alike to the City’s center. These events breathe life into the downtown while showcasing the many great restaurants, shops, bars, and businesses that call the UAD their home. Without these events, people can tend to forget about the downtown which results in decreased patronage and therefore a decrease in economic and community activity.
MCMA wishes for other people and organizations to help showcase the UAD itself as well as the various communities and cultures within it. MCMA also recognizes that it can be difficult to start new events due to a lack of funding that is essential in creating a new event. We have created this Party Grant to financially incentivize and encourage individuals and businesses that are stakeholders in the Uptown Arts District to take pride and celebrate unique areas within the District by encouraging the public to visit the District and see what makes it special.
Terms of Grant
Any person or business currently living or located in the UAD may apply and any applicant who is awarded this grant will receive reimbursement for up to $1,000 for eligible expenses related to the creation of a Party hosted within the UAD. The following are considered eligible expenses:
- Food & food-related expenses
- Non-alcoholic beverages
- Live Performance (e.g. live bands, DJs, Sound system rental, dancers, jugglers, mimes, clowns, etc.)
Conditions of Grant
- The Party must have free-admission and be open to the public. Applicants may charge for any item that grant does not fund.
- Each grant will be awarded to a single applicant no more than once per year.
- Parties cannot be held on days where MCMA is already hosting an event or on commonly celebrated holidays, such as July 4, to ensure maximum attendance to your Party.
- The applicant is solely responsible for the Party and adherence to all requirements of this grant and shall serve as the point of contact for the Party and grant.
- Applicant must clearly describe their intent and plan for their Party.
- The Party must be held within the Uptown Arts District boundaries (click here for boundaries).
- Parties cannot be located in the public right of way on Wabash, Washington, Franklin, Pine, or Spring Streets. Parties can be located in other public or private spaces easily accessible to the public.
- The Applicant is responsible for all cleanup of their Party.
- The applicant must have a Facebook Page and create a Facebook Event on that page for the proposed Party containing all pertinent information about the Party. (MCMA can assist with this requirement and will share this event on its UAD Facebook Page.)
- A minimum of 10% of awarded funds must be spent on Facebook advertising for the Facebook Event. MCMA can assist with accomplishing this requirement.
- MCMA must be clearly listed on the Facebook Event as well as any and all other marketing material as the primary sponsor of the Party.
- Priority will be given to novel and innovative Parties. Applicants are encouraged to think outside of the box and offer experiences that have never been seen before in the UAD.
- Events focused on advertising or fundraising for an organization or business will have a lower priority.
- MCMA reserves the right to deny any application for any reason.
- From time to time MCMA may offer other grants. If your particular endeavor does not specifically meet the requirements of this grant, please contact MCMA to see if other opportunities are available.
Administration of Grant
The exact amount of grant money awarded will be based on receipts received for eligible expenses. Receipts for eligible expenses must be scanned and emailed together to PartyGrant@theMCMA.org before any reimbursements will be made. Upon receipt of scanned receipts for eligible items, MCMA will mail a check to the applicant for the appropriate reimbursement.
All parties interested in applying for this grant must use the online application below which can be accessed by clicking the “Party Grant Application” button below.