Party Grant Program (2022)
Michigan City Mainstreet Association
Purpose & Description
The Michigan City Mainstreet Association has become well known and respected for its role in creating and hosting within the District numerous high quality, unique events that draw MC residents and visitors alike to the City’s center. These events breathe life into the downtown while showcasing the many great restaurants, shops, bars, and businesses that call the UAD their home. Without these events, people can tend to forget about the downtown which results in decreased patronage and therefore a decrease in economic and community activity.
MCMA wishes for other people and organizations to help showcase the UAD itself as well as the various communities and cultures within it. MCMA also recognizes that it can be difficult to start new events due to a lack of funding that is essential in creating a new event. We have created this Block Party Grant Program to financially incentivize and encourage individuals and businesses located that are stakeholders in the Uptown Arts District to take pride and celebrate unique areas within the District by encouraging the public to visit the District and see what makes it special.
Terms & Conditions
Any person or business currently living or located in the UAD may apply and any applicant who is awarded this grant will receive reimbursement for up to $1,000 for eligible expenses related to the creation of a block party hosted within the UAD. The following are considered eligible expenses:
- Food & food-related expenses
- Non-alcoholic beverages
- Live Performance (e.g. live bands, DJs, Sound system rental, dancers, jugglers, mimes, clowns, etc.)
The following conditions also apply:
- Applicant must clearly describe their intent and plan for the event.
- The event must be held within the Uptown Arts District boundaries. Block parties cannot be located in the public right of way on Wabash, Washington, Franklin, Pine, or Spring Streets. Block parties can be located in other public or private spaces easily accessible to the public.
- The event must have free-admission and be open to the public. Applicants may charge for any item that grant does not fund.
- Applicant is responsible for cleanup of the event.
- The applicant is solely responsible for the event and adherence to all requirements of this grant and shall serve as the point of contact for the event.
- A minimum of 10% of awarded funds must be spent on Facebook advertising for the Facebook Event. MCMA can assist with accomplishing this requirement.
- Each grant will be awarded to a single applicant no more than once per year.
- The applicant must have a Facebook Page and create a Facebook Event on that page for the proposed event containing all pertinent information about the event. (MCMA can assist with this requirement and will share this event on its UAD Facebook Page.)
- MCMA must be clearly listed on the Facebook Event as well as any and all other marketing material as the primary sponsor of the event.
- Events cannot be held on days where MCMA is already hosting an event or commonly celebrated holidays, such as July 4th, to ensure maximum attendance to your event.
- Priority will be given to novel and innovative events. Applicants are encouraged to think outside of the box and offer experiences that have never been seen before in the UAD.
- Events focused on advertising or fundraising for an organization or business will have a lower priority.
Administration of Grant
The exact amount of grant money awarded will be based on receipts received for eligible expenses. Receipts for eligible expenses must be scanned and emailed together to BlockPartyGrant@MichiganCityMainstreetAssociation.org before any reimbursements will be made. Upon receipt of scanned receipts for eligible items, MCMA will mail a check to the applicant for the appropriate reimbursement.
MCMA reserves the right to deny any application for any reason.
From time to time MCMA may offer other grants. If your particular endeavor does not specifically meet the requirements of this grant, please contact MCMA to see if other opportunities are available.
All parties interested in applying for this grant must use the online application which can be accessed using the button below.